What is Flash Fiction?
Flash fiction is a style of extremely brief literature, usually between 300 and 1,000 words. It is a complete story with beginning, middle, and end that contains other elements of fiction such as setting, character, conflict, and resolution.
How to Enter
Write a flash fiction story 1,000 words or less then submit it to HIS Writers by midnight, September 30, 2013. (NOTE: Contest has been extended to September 30th to coincide with Novel Crafters Seminar early bird registration.)
By entering and winning you could receive one of the following prizes:
Your story published and featured as the grand prize winner in the Novel Crafters Seminar special edition of Harpstring magazine, as well as a $25 stipend and free copy of the special edition.
Your story published and featured as receiving honorable mention in the Novel Crafters Seminar special edition of Harpstring magazine, as well as a free copy of the special edition.
HIS Writers Flash Fiction Contest Submission Requirements
- Story must have a clear beginning, middle, ending, and resolution. Those submitted without these elements will be ruled ineligible.
- Story must be:
- 1,000 words or less
- In .doc format
- 1" margins (all around)
- 0.5" paragraph indentations
- Size 12 Times New Roman font
- Labeled with your name and story title in upper left corner
- His Writers represents a Christian organization. While it is not required that your story have a spiritual theme, submissions containing sexually explicit scenes or descriptions, swearing, foul/suggestive language, or graphic violence will be ruled ineligible.
- Entry fee:
- $10 - Standard registration
- $15 - Registration with score sheet and judge's critique
- You may enter as many times as you wish; however, for each submission you must also fill out an entry form and submit an additional entry fee.
- Only online entries submitted to HIS Writers will be accepted.
- Contest is open to published and unpublished authors eighteen years and older.
- All entries must be received by midnight, Monday, September 30, 2013. (NOTE: Contest has been extended to September 30th to coincide with Novel Crafters Seminar early bird registration.)
- Finalists will be contacted by Harpstring to advise them of their acceptance and to finalize editing and contract details.
- Winners will be announced at the Novel Crafters Seminar of the Rockies on Saturday, November 9, 2013. Winner need not be present.
- One grand prize winner and up to nine honorable mention winners will by chosen by Harpstring's review board to have their winning stories published in the 2013 Novel Crafters Seminar special edition of Harpstring magazine.
- Names of all winners will be posted on the HIS Writers website on Monday, November 10th.
- By entering you allow us to post your name on HIS Writers and ACFW Colorado websites, the ACFW Colorado Inkwell blog, and HIS Writers and ACFW Colorado social network sites (such as Facebook and Twitter).
- By entering, you grant Harpstring the worldwide exclusive right to use your entry in publication for the term of six month to include print, electronic and audio recordings for publication and promotion. At the end of the six-month term, all rights to the work are returned to the author. Harpstring is not responsible for expenses or compensation for the work. Prize monies are paid on the basis of contest rules and do not in any way indicate a legal contract with Harpstring or its associated companies.
- To learn more about Harpstring, go to http://www.written-world.com/WWC/mags.html.
- To view a copy of last year’s Novel Crafters Seminar special edition of Harpstring, click here.
- To register for the 2013 Novel Crafters Seminar of the Rockies, click here.
Article by Jerry B. Jenkins will be included in the 2013 Novel Crafters Seminar
special edition of "Harpstring."
Magazine will be available for purchase at the
Novel Crafters Seminar of the Rockies on November 9, 2013, and by mail thereafter.
FLASH FICTION CONTEST HAS ENDED.
CHECK BACK FOR LIST OF WINNERS.
Contest is sponsored by HIS Writers,
American Christian Fiction Writers (ACFW) North Denver Chapter.
For questions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org